Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Wednesday morning update

When we got in to see Ellie this morning she smiled big for us. She is doing a great job responding. Right side is slightly weaker sometimes. She got tylenol last night for a slight fever. The nurses and doctors say she is such a good patient. She is on very little sedation and pain meds and doesn't freak out and try to take tubes out. Aparently other kids wouldn't be so calm. I'm glad to hear this because I thought she'd fight against all the tubes.

The doctors said everything looks great. Her feeding is going well. They are going to increase the feedings and amounts. They are suctioning a lot out of her lungs and today it's green so they are going to test the mucus to make sure no germs are growing in there. We don't want pneumonia. They will do another CT scan this afternoon to check on swelling. Chest X-ray today looked good they said. On the ventilator machine it shows her breaths. Today she is doing the majority of the breathing on her own. So we are very glad to hear that. She is such a trooper through everything they do to her.

She gets eye drops in her eyes to help keep them moist, especially the right eye since it can't close all the way. This is something we are going to have to be careful with in the future because her right eye won't produce as many tears. We don't want to damage her eye which could lead to blindness by letting it be too dry all the time.

Her hearing in her right ear is 100% gone. Her facial movements on the right side are gone. Although she can open and close her eye. Luckily the optic nerve was saved.

We are going to try to get a video in here for her to watch later this afternoon. We will also ready books to her when she's awake. I'll keep updating more later. Thanks for all your emails and kind words. Ryan and I are doing better and are stronger every day as she gets stronger.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like Ellie is slowly improving! Praise the Lord! We will keep praying for her as well as your entire family! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God, Alicia, that He has been with her through this whole ordeal. She is such a wonderful little girl and many prayers are going to the heavens from those who love her too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is amazing! We would like to get you something. Is there anything specific your needing? In the mean time I will continue to pray for strength and health. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie, I hope you get to feeling better real soon. You are a good friend and miss seeing you. I am praying for you to get well. I love the princesses on your web page.

    Love, Rachel Clayberg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Alicia and Ryan,

    I'm praying for Ellie and I hope that you can hang in there. I think that you are very brave through this path in your lives and I'm very happy to be able to read your updates in here. thank you for sharing and please know that you are in my thoughts. I have never met Ellie, but let her know that there is someone in Denmark praying for her too. :-) Big huge hugs to you all and God bless!! Hugs, Ana Ramos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Alicia and Ryan,

    I'm very sorry that you have to go through all of this!! Please know that I'm praying for Ellie and I must say that I think you are very brave through all of this and it is very nice to be able to read your updates in here. Thank you. I have never met Ellie, but please let her know that there is someone in Denmark praying for her!! God Bless and big huge hugs to you all. Ana Ramos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking good thoughts for all of you. remember to breathe! Hope you are taking care of yourselves so that you keep things on a positive note!

    Blessings to your family...

    much love,

    D~

    ReplyDelete